Sunday, April 27, 2008

Featured Teacher of the Month


MR.MOSES

Mr. Moses’ Interview

Q: Why did you choose to teach at our school?

MOSES: Actually I was a student teacher in this school before I became a teacher I came to this school and worked with Mr. Michael who is the principle at Kingsborough International HS right now. I saw the population in this school and I actually realized that I was really good with students who are immigrants. Plus, I kind of understand immigrant experiences because my parents also emigrated from Korea, I know what it's like to learn a second language and to be hyphenated American like Polish-America and Korea-America.


Q: Why do you teach freshmen instead of sophomore, junior, or senior level?

MOSES: Actually, I got this job when the only opening was for 9th grade, but I like teaching 9th grade because I am really good at it. I’m loud. I’m energetic, and I think I can relate to these students maybe a little bit more than some other teachers. I wasn’t a very good student when I grew up. I was a very bad student, and I’m a little immature as a teacher. So I think in that senses I know how to have fun(you know!) and students kind of like it. Also, I like to work with 9th grade because they need to be broken in. They come here, just out of junior high, and they think that they know everything and I like to make fun of them and let them know that they don’t know everything and kind of teach them how to get through the next couple years in high school. They need to work hard because if you get them later on they just will be disrespectful. So it's better to teach them and let them know the score from 9th grade.


Q: What are the problems that you usually face teaching 9th grade?

MOSES: The problems that I face in the class come with the huge varieties of language levels. We have students that just came here like week ago with students who perhaps learned English in their native country. I have to teach students who can speak so well and their writing is so wonderful alongside students who hardly know how to speak and write. My challenges are: How do I keep everyone in the class room interested? How do I make the top student still feel like they are learning and it not too easy for them? How do I help the student who doesn’t know the language, doesn’t know how to communicate in class, or participate in class? So basically my work is to try to find a way to help all students in class and make sure that they are doing their jobs well.




Q: What are some techniques that you use to teach English language?

MOSES: The technique for this school is to teach students through content. They can learn English through Global studies, Science, or English. So students are able to learn English through the subjects that they have been taught. And all the students have problems with grammar. I teach history so most of grammar that I teach student is past tense, so this is a challenge for them. I also talk and have a meeting with other teachers every Thursday. I usually talk about the students (of course!) and discuss the issues that students have. It’s good that on Thursday we, all four of their teachers, sit and talk about kids and how to find ways to help them.


Q: What is a profile of a good student in your opinion?

MOSES: I believe that students come in different sizes, colors, shapes, and languages. For me, I can say that if there were a prototypical student I would be a bad teacher. A good teacher knows that the students come from different backgrounds and have different needs. And, therefore, my job is to be the best teacher for all the difference types of students. If I just have only one kind of good student, it would make me just a pretty simple teacher. Personally, I like to work with the students who don’t like school and will act disrespectful in other classes because, to me, it’s more of a challenge. How can I make them like school? How can I make them do my homework? What can I do to make them improve their education and want to learn? I want them to find a reason to go to school.




Q: Do you think you achieve your goal as a successful teacher?

MOSES: In some points I think I am a successful teacher for some students. However, there are also students who have fallen into the cracks and I’m not able to reach them. Now I think one thing is because of I’m in graduate school right now. I go there and I get home like 10:00pm. I spend so much time doing other work that I need to finish for my degree, that I have less time to grade their homework. I think, therefore, this effects my teaching, but I think as soon as I am done I can spend more time and focus more on my students. I’ll be done in May and I’ll be an even more successful teacher (I hope). Also, I think I’m successful at catching a student who cheats in my class( watch out people!!) and I think I’m getting better this year because this year, I have caught, at least, three studentswho tried to cheat on my tests.




Q: Where do you prefer to teach, America or Korea?

MOSES: I prefer to teach here more than in Korea because here I have an opportunity to teach different kinds of people. Also, I love different food, different cultures, and different things so that’s why I love teaching at this school.


Q: Do you think students like you????

MOSES: I think they do, but you know what, I don’t care. I don’t care that they like me as long as----actually I do care a little. Still, I think most of them like me. I know not all of the students like me and I think students like me because of the way I teach. I don’t start out as friends with everybody; it is not my job as a teacher. But if you see me teach, I’ll do whatever I can to make it interesting and fun. And that’s what makes students like me, not because I’m beautiful which I am.

BY: KEMAKORN AND MAGDALENA

No comments: