Sunday, April 27, 2008

Country of the Month....Pakistan!


This is Jawiria


-How long have you been in America?
4 years
-What is your opinion about US?
So far I like it, because I have been leaving here for so long so I am used to it. It's ok.
-Do you like it better here or back in your country?
I prefer back in my country because most of my people are over there but I still want to be here in US.
-So what is the main difference between US and your country?
The main difference is the way we celebrate holidays because over here we celebrate holiday in a different way. There we used to gather together, and since they are not here, there are not many people.
-So what is one thing you don' t like about your culture?
My parents are too strict. You cannot have a boyfriend. That thing I don't like.
-What do you think is the best thing about your culture? Something that is not seen very often here.
Oh, the best thing is the way we dress because it is so colorful and different.
-What are some rights that women don't have in your country?
Well I don't really know.
-Do you think that by being in this country you will forget all of your customs and traditions?
I won't because, I was living there for 14 years so I still have it in my mind.
-How about when you will have a family. Will you hold on to your traditions or you will stick more to the American way of living?
No, I will hold on to my culture because I like it
-Do you like education better here or back in your country?
over here. It is much easier. In my country it is so difficult.
- Do women have the right to have education and study in your country?
Yeah, of course. They can be teachers too.
-Do men in your country respect women? Because I've heard that in your country if you will cheat on your husband he can even kill you.
In my country cheating is not so common. Even if you will get a divorce that is a big thing . Sometime when can be disrespectful, and they pass by in the street and they hit you.
-Do you have marriages that are arranged by the parents, in your country ?
Yes. However, a lot of times the children don't agree and they just go to court and finally they get divorced.
-What is your opinion about arranged marriages?
Well, I think that as parents they have more experience and they know better than us what is better for their children.
-If there was one thing that you could change about your country, what would it be?
Something that I would change would be that people are narrow minded there and I don't like that. For example, they wouldn't approve the way I am dressed now.(modern clothes-not traditional)
-What is one thing you don't like about the United States?
Hm.the weather. When it gets too cold.
-In your country the weather is always hot?
Yes, very hot.
-Thank you
Written and interview by Magdalena Stawowy

No comments: